Remarks by Honourable Kye Rymer
Minister for Transportation, Works and Utilities
Contract Signing Ceremony For Road Rehabilitation and Slope Stabilisation
(Hope Hill – Sabbath Hill)
September, 17th 2020
Good Morning All,
I am pleased to be here yet again, as recovery is on the move.
Today I am here as Minister for Transportation, Works and Utilities, for the contract signing for the Hope Hill to Sabbath Hill Road Rehabilitation and Slope Stabilisation works. Residents and motorists in the area will recall the four areas where plywood barricades were erected following the natural disasters of 2017, along this section of the Ridge Road. As a result, it was very difficult for the safe passage of two way traffic in some areas, particularly during the night due to the narrowness of the roadway.
Therefore, I am pleased that through this contract, this road section will be rehabilitated and stabilised to make for safe passage for motorists and residents.
I would like to thank the Minister of Finance and Premier Honourable Andrew A. Fahie for the resubmissison of the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) loan and the Recovery Development Agency (RDA), who has been working closely with my ministry to deliver these recovery projects.
I am pleased with the progress of the four projects that have already commenced; namely, the reservoir replacement and installation of meters in Zion Hill; Carrot Bay; and Long Bush; as well as the recently started road rehabilitation and stabilisation works in the upper section of the Great Mountain road.
I would like to offer my congratulations to Ms. Garraway and her team from Quality Construction for being awarded the contract for the Hope Hill to Sabbath Hill Road Rehabilitation and Slope Stabilisation Works in the amount of $744,495.57. Quality Construction is a well-known local company that has undertaken numerous projects at a high quality level throughout the Territory and I am confident that they will do the same under this particular contract.
The scope of the works that will be undertaken by Quality Construction include:
- The stabilisation and road rehabilitation of four distinct yet separate site areas which will see the construction:
- At Site 1 of a 79 foot long by 9 foot high concrete reinforced retaining wall;
- At Site 2 of a 49 foot long by 10 foot high concrete reinforced retaining wall;
- At Site 3 of a 94 foot long by 10 foot high concrete reinforced retaining wall; and
- At Site 4 of a 177 foot long by 9 foot high concrete reinforced retaining wall
- The combined works will also see the total construction of over:
- 1010 feet of reinforced concrete kerb and slipper drains;
- 656 feet of reinforced concrete kerb walls;
- 213 feet of reinforced concrete box drains;
- 66 feet of stone pitched trapezoidal drains; and
- 410 feet of guard rails
- Finally, the road carriageway in these areas will have a constant road width of 20 feet to allow for the safe passage of all types of vehicles.
Through the RDA, the Government of the Virgin Islands will be executing the projects under the Roads, Slopes and Coastal Defences programme under the CDB loan.
These additional projects are:
- Great Mountain 1
- Great Mountain 2
- Little Dix Hill
- Bob’s Gas Station Road
- Long Trench
- Ballast Bay
- Fish Bay Road
- Hope Hill to Sabbath Hill
- Carrot Bay Coastal Defence
The majority of these works have been issued for tender and we anticipate contract signings for the road works shortly. We are happy to see these various works progress to the benefit of the residents in the various communities as we, your Government, continue to deliver these projects to the benefit of the Territory.
We are pleased to hear from the Acting CEO of the RDA and his team that many of the local contractors have been actively involved in the tender process and we want to thank them for taking part in the process and encourage them to continue submitting their tenders.
Again congratulations to Quality Construction on the award of the contract; thanks to the RDA and the Government of this Territory for the work that we continue to do for this Territory.