Press Release

Office of the Deputy Governor
Release Date:
Tuesday, 25 July 2017 - 4:48pm

The Licencing Magistrate is reminding all persons desirous of selling intoxicating liquor during the upcoming Emancipation Festival that they are to apply for and obtain a temporary liquor licence to do so.

Persons must complete Liquor Licence application (Form B) in triplicate and submit one to the Commissioner of Inland Revenue and the other two copies to the Commissioner of Police, by August 1.

The application, (Form B) must be accompanied by a food handler’s certificate and a licence to trade at the specific venue for which the liquor licence is being sought.

The successful applicant will be issued a certificate of approval at the Magistrate’s Court. This certificate must be presented to the Inland Revenue Department with the appropriate fee and the licence will be issued. Licences can be collected at the Inland Revenue Department, Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.

The Royal Virgin Islands Police Force will make periodic checks during the festival season to ensure that all vendors engaged in the sale of alcohol are duly licenced to do so.  As a result, all licensees must have their liquor licence available for inspection at all times.

Additionally, the Environmental Health Division will make periodic checks on licensees to ensure the proper standards for food service are being kept.                                                            

Meanwhile, the Office of the Deputy Governor is once again reminding permanent liquor licence holders who missed the June 1 sitting to renew their liquor licences at the Magistrate’s Court that they must now apply to the Office of the Deputy Governor to obtain a temporary liquor licence.

All Liquor Licences are to be displayed at the place of business at all times.  Ill-treatment and abuse of Government workers, including health inspectors and police officers carrying out inspections, will not be tolerated and may affect a licensee’s ability to obtain future licences.

Licence holders are asked to take careful note of the terms under which they are licenced to sell intoxicating liquor, as strict compliance will be enforced.

Persons requiring additional information may contact the Magistrate’s Court at John’s Hole at telephone number 468-4360, the Office of the Deputy Governor at 468-2195, the Inland Revenue Department at 468-2155 or the Commissioner of Police at 468-5421.


Colene A. Penn

Head of Communications
Recovery and Development Agency
Tel: +1 (284) 345-2776 | Mobile: +1 (284) 345-3387