33 Admin Drive
Central Administration Complex
Road Town, Tortola
Virgin Islands (British) VG1110
The Town and Country Planning Department which comes under the portfolio of the Premier’s Office, is responsible for ensuring the proper use of land throughout the Virgin Islands. The main function of the department is to ensure that the Territory is developed in an orderly and sustainable manner and to prepare development plans which will guide the development process throughout the Territory.
The Department functions as the secretariat for the Planning Authority and is governed by the Physical Planning Act of 2004 as its primary legislation. The Town and Country Planning Department is mandated to ensure the proper use of land and spatial development through integrated land use planning and management. The Physical Planning Act, 2004 is the legal instrument under which the department has the authoritative order to administer.
The Act makes provision for:
· the orderly and progressive development of land in both urban and rural areas;
· the protection of the environment and improvement of the amenities thereof;
· the grant of permission to develop land;
· other powers of control over the use of land;
· additional powers in respect of the acquisition and development of land for planning purposes; and
· other matters connected therewith.
The Town and Country Planning Department (TCPD) ensures sustainable development in the British Virgin Islands by promoting wise use of land, efficient communication systems and facilitating harmonious change while enhancing our strong cultural heritage. This is made possible through staff that is trained to employ the highest standards of planning techniques while ensuring strong relationships, corporation, openness and professionalism.
The Town and Country Planning Department (TCPD), under the guidance of the Planning Authority, seeks to ensure orderly, sustainable and progressive development of land; the protection of the environment; improvement of amenities; and the creation and maintenance of addresses for physical properties.
At the Town and Country Planning Department we believe that:
- Your development applications and development options must be reviewed promptly;
- We take the lead in guiding development and in promoting the sustainable development of the Territory;
- Maintaining an up-to-date and accurate Geographic Information System (GIS) provides the basis for improved decision making; and
- Our employees are well-trained, responsible professional team players.
What's Happening Within Our Department?
|Town And Country Planning New Email
20 Feb 2024 - 8:46am
|Town And Country Planning To Conduct Building Use Survey
2 Nov 2023 - 11:29am
|Town And Country Planning Office Closure
12 Oct 2023 - 1:34pm
|Early Closure of Town and Country Planning Department
22 Jun 2023 - 1:39pm
|Erection Of Election Billboards Prohibited Without Approval
31 Mar 2023 - 9:39am
|Town And Country Planning Providing Remote Services Today
24 Oct 2022 - 11:07am
|Public Meeting On Cable And Wireless Tower Application
13 Oct 2022 - 3:49pm
|Department Of Town And Country Planning To Close On May 13
5 May 2022 - 5:32pm
|Meeting For Licenced And Practicing Electricians February 22
18 Feb 2022 - 1:42pm
|Virgin Gorda Electrical And Building Permit Inspections
2 Dec 2021 - 11:14am
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Town and Country Planning Department, see below for contact information:
Town and Country Planning Department
33 Admin Drive
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Cashier : 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Telephone: 1(284) 468-2158
Fax: 1(284) 468-3148