Occasionally the Government requires a portion of private lands to widen roads and/or create alternate access roads to other properties.  The process to inform, negotiate and compensate the owner(s) is a Wayleaves matter.


Step 1:  Customer receives a written notification from Government of a pending land encroachment.  A consent form and drawings of proposed work is attached.

Step 2:  Customer replies to Government indicating his consent to the proposed work and preference for compensation.

Step 3:  PWD would contact customer to coordinate the works schedule.

Step 4:  Customer is required to sign Land Subdivision form at Ministry of Communication and Works..

Step 5:  The Ministry of Communication and Works shares appraised value with customer and negotiating may take place at this stage.  Customer must now agree in writing to compensation  amount.

Step 6:  Customer is to sign Land Transfer and Deed of Release documents and accept cheque payment.

Step 7:  Copies of the sealed documents in #6 are to be sent to the customer.


Method of Applying

In Person or by Email

Turn Around Time

Varies depending on outcome of decision

Department Contact Information

Ministry of Communications and Works

The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Communications and Works
Government of the Virgin Islands
Road Town, Tortola
Virgin Islands (British) VG1110

Business Hours:

Monday - Friday  
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Email Address: mcw@gov.vg

Telephone: 1(284) 468-2183
Fax: 1(284) 468-3090