The Premier of the Virgin Islands is Honourable D. Orlando Smith, OBE
The following persons are eligible to be claimants of the Fund for the types of relief assistance indicated below:
- Individuals losing accommodations or possessions
- Persons whose homes are badly damaged by the event
- Self employed individuals who have suffered direct loss of livelihood and whose Insurance Agency does not cover loss from such events
- Person who have been evacuated
- Non-Profit Organisations
Relief assistance may take the following forms:
- food relief
- shelter or emergency accommodation grant
- material or equipment for livelihood such as in Fisheries and Agriculture
- medical assistance
- financial grants
A completed copy of the Emergency Relief and Assistance Form must first be submitted to the Department of Disaster Management within two weeks of the disaster/emergency. Attach to the form any relevant pictures/detailed reports and insurance documents pertaining to the incident. Once verified by the Department of Disaster Management, the claim will be forwarded to the Ministry of Finance for further processing.
In processing claims, the Ministry of Finance shall seek the advice of the Fund Committee. Advice may be sought from the Attorney General's Chambers if necessary. Final decisions will be communicated to the claimant by the Ministry of Finance.
The Planning Authority comprised of ten members: a Chairman, a Deputy Chairman, four other members from the private sector, and four members representing various government agencies, including Heads of Departments or Senior staff from the Public Works Department, Department of Disaster Management and Town and Country Planning Department.
Contact the Environmental Health Division at 468-5110.