Submitted by SGibbs on 1 May 2019 - 10:57am
Internal Position No.:
38 of 2019
The successful applicant provides leadership and guidance in planning, organising and leading the cultural initiatives of the Territory, as well as manages the department’s operations.
- Serves as chief advisor to the Government on matters relating to the department so that specialist, expert advice is available for the Government to call upon.
- Develops and presents a reform strategy for the modernization of the Department in line with successful industry models, to streamline and improve its internal processes, as well as the public/private sector interface necessary for its continued effectiveness. Oversees the development of a succession plan for the Department.
- Exercises general supervision over professional, supervisory and technical staff. Confers with and advises the Deputy Director and division heads on problems relating to the activities and their divisions in order to resolve issues in a timely and amicable fashion.
- Plans, develops and oversees implementation of projects. Coordinates activities with other departments and outside agencies, as necessary in order to contribute to the effective management of the department.
- Oversees the review process for compliance with contract requirements, development standards and other regulations and standards accordingly.
- Investigates and recommends changes to policies, legislation and service delivery that would enhance the functioning of the department.
- Converses with subordinates on grievances, conflicts, and other personnel matters. In collaboration with the any relevant Human Resources staff, approves the selection and termination of the employees within the Department in order to maintain a dynamic and appropriate workforce.
- Evaluates the work of division heads and support staff; identifies training needs; provides counseling as needed. Counsels employees on performance and adjusts assignments and training for developmental purposes to aid with the professional development of staff within the department.
- Reviews operations or programs to ascertain whether results are consistent with established objectives and goals, and whether government operations or programmes are being carried out as planned to ensure continuous review that operations and projects will result in the intended outcome efficiently.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- Prepares and manage the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Ensures the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
- Develops and implement strategic plans.
- Identifies job specific and environmental factors, develop/enforce health and safety policies and mitigate and minimize hazards to promote health and safety of officers.
- Performs any other duties as required in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration or equivalent
- Seven (7) years in senior management or in a related area
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of applicable regulations, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of Government budget and accounting procedures
- Excellent knowledge of the history of the Virgin Islands
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant software applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, negotiating, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent research and report-writing skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
Wednesday, 15 May 2019