The successful applicant will assist with policy development, serve as Government’s key cross-ministry communications coordinator to assist Government with achieving its Legislative agenda, serve as the press secretary to the Government of the Virgin Islands, ensure that the Government’s message across the public service, including statutory bodies, is consistent; and manage/oversee the Department of Information and Public Relations.
- Oversee the smooth and efficient operation of the Department of Information and Public Relations, including:
- Managing the financial management of annual budget allocation for the Department of Information and Public Relations.
- Developing the strategic direction of the Department in collaboration with the Chief Information Officer based on Government’s Legislative Agenda.
- Ensuring that Department’s budget is prepared for submission to Ministry of Finance.
- Develop a comprehensive cross-sectoral strategic communications plan to promote Government’s Legislative Agenda.
- Coordinate the implementation of Government’s communications strategy to ensure synchronised communications. Review draft speeches, media releases, newsletter articles and print media columns to ensure they are aligned with Government strategic communications direction and legislative agenda.
- Investigate and recommend changes to policies, legislation and service delivery that would enhance government’s strategic communications framework.
- Review communications operations or programmes across Government to ascertain whether results are consistent with established communications objectives and goals.
- Communicate Cabinet and House of Assembly decisions to the public in consultation with Ministers, Financial Secretary and Permanent Secretaries.
- Serve as chief communication advisor to the Government of the Virgin Islands and designated Government spokespeople. Ensure all communications officers from the Department of Information and Public Relations and throughout the Public Service including Statutory Bodies follow the established protocol for Government communications.
- Prepare all Ministers for public events and manage their public reputation.
- Manage outreach to shape public opinion on the role and work of government business.
- Liaise with the media; locally, regionally, internationally and answer media enquiries on behalf of the Government of the Virgin Islands following consultation with the relevant top managers and Ministers.
- Supervise social media communications.
- Provide direct oversight and management for the Government’s gateway site in content development and establish standards.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s Degree in Mass Communications, Marketing, Broadcast Journalism, Public Relations, Public/Strategic Communications or other related field
- Seven (7) years’ experience at the senior management level and in the communications/public relations field
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of relevant laws, regulations and policies
- Excellent knowledge of mass and media communication
- Sound understanding of the Virgin Islands’ culture
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant computer applications
- Expert oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Sound leadership and management skills