The successful applicant will plans and directs the operations of the Customs Department to administer and ensure compliance with Customs laws. Manages the human, financial and other resources allocated to the Department. Monitors marine traffic in the Virgin Islands and liaises with other enforcement bodies. Ensures the prohibition of controlled substances.
- Administer and ensure implementation of all laws relating to the Customs Department.
- Issue general direction and departmental instructions for the guidance of staff and members of the public.
- Meet with stakeholders, interest groups and other groups in relation to departmental matters.
- Manage the human, financial and other resources allocated to the Department.
- Coordinate meetings to ensure that staff is aware of any changes to policies or procedures relevant to the role.
- Represent the department in local, regional and international fora.
- Serve as the Accounting Officer for the Department.
- Prepare and manage the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Ensure the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff in the Department.
- Develop and implement strategic plans.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Law Enforcement or a related field
- Five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience in senior management position
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, procedures and policies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Expert analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent leadership and management skills