Cutlass Towers 3rd Floor
Wickhams Cay 1
P.O. Box 4751
Road Town, Tortola
Virgin Islands (British) VG1110
The Virgin Islands Shipping Registry seeks to ensure that Virgin Islands ships can safely, securely and efficiently enjoy the freedom of the seas and the support of a vigorous and effective Maritime Administration.
We will achieve this through:
• Implementing the Maritime policies of the Government covering shipping operations, safety of life at sea, security and the prevention of, and response to, pollution from ships;
• Implementing and enforcing the regulations applicable to all Virgin Islands vessels on both domestic and international routes, and for all vessels navigating in the territorial waters of the Virgin Islands;
• Developing and adopting appropriate standards of training, evaluation and certification for Virgin Islands seafarers and on-shore staff in accordance with the respective needs of international and domestic shipping and the BVI maritime industry; and
• Providing timely, accurate and appropriate information and advice to the Government, public and private sector organisations and the general public.
• Political Stability
• A reputable and successful offshore financial centre
• Leads the world in company formation
• Tax neutral
• Outside the scope of EU VAT laws
• Jurisdiction under English Common Law
• Mortgages enforceable worldwide
• Signatory to all IMO conventions
• Internationally recognised Large Yacht Code (LYC) as standard for construction and equipping large yachts
• Entitled to same protection as any other British ship
• Very competitive registration and annual fees
• Highly qualified registration and technical team.
• To develop and operate an efficient, reputable and viable registry of ships and seafarers.
• To collaborate with public and private sector interests and institutions in the BVI, the Caribbean region and overseas.
• To strive to lessen the burden of obsolete regulations and the cost of compliance on BVI ship owners.
• To set an example of clear, consistent and open leadership of an effective team.
• To fully comply with the spirit and letter of international conventions, national regulations and the procedures of the Shipping Registry Quality Management System.
• To issue registration certificates within four working days (for small vessels under 24 metres) after the receipt of satisfactorily completed documents.
• On receipt of the signed carving and marking note, to issue the registration certificate within two working days (for merchant ships, pleasure vessels, fishing vessels and bareboat charter ships).
• Within seven days of the receipt of an application, to carry out an examination for a Boat Masters’ License (BML) – and to issue an appropriate certificate to any successful applicant.
• To issue the renewal BML within two working days.
• To commence surveys and inspection on the day requested if a minimum of one week’s notice is given.
• To complete approval of plans or stability information documents within 28 days.
• To respond to letters, faxes and e-mails within three working days.
• To answer the telephone by the third ring. To carry out Port State Control (PSC) Inspection more than the target of 15% assigned under the Caribbean Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on PSC in the Caribbean Region.
View our organisational structure.
What's Happening Within Our Department?
|Pay Attention To Safety Flags When Visiting Territory’s Beaches||
11 Jan 2019 - 5:15pm
|Owners Of Derelict Vessels Urged To Contact VI Shipping Registry||
7 Jan 2019 - 5:03pm
|Notice For Derelict Vessels To Be Removed||
21 Dec 2018 - 11:41am
|Shipping Registry Marine Inspectors Receive Training In Trinidad||
22 Nov 2018 - 2:37pm
|Abandoned Or Derelect Vessels To Be Removed||
20 Nov 2018 - 3:49pm
|BVI’s Ship Registration Expected To Increase In 2019||
15 Nov 2018 - 3:16pm
|Virgin Islands Shipping Registry Fully Operational||
14 Nov 2018 - 1:48pm
|BVI’s Maritime Industry To Receive Further Exposure At Boat Show||
30 Oct 2018 - 12:59pm
|Removal Of Derelict Vessels To Begin At West End||
19 Oct 2018 - 4:54pm
|Public Notified Of Aircraft Undertaking Sensor Surveys||
24 Sep 2018 - 4:51pm
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Virgin Islands Shipping Registry, see below for contact information:
Virgin Islands Shipping Registry
Cutlass Towers 3rd Floor
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Reception/Front Desk: 1(284) 468-9646
Ag. Director: 1(284) 468-9499
Registrar: 1(284) 468-9648
Asst. Registrar: 1(284) 468-9501
Snr Marine Surveyor: 1(284) 468-9572
Snr Marine Officer: 1(284) 468-9180
Fax: 1(284) 468-2913