Road Town, Tortola
Virgin Islands (British) VG1110
The Public Works Department renders a wide range of services to both private and public entities throughout the territory. It is our responsibility to ensure that these services are delivered efficiently and economically, with due care to sound engineering principles.
The Public Works Department aims to provide a sound and advanced infrastructure network throughout the Virgin Islands.
To provide a safe, practical, efficient, economically and environmentally sound infrastructure that is well designed, constructed and maintained in accordance to recognized regional and international codes and standards and is in harmony with the Territory's social and economic goals.
As accountable Public Servants we aim to exemplify the highest standards of:
- Commitment and respect in the work we execute
Administration, Accounting and Procurement
To provide administrative, accounting and procurement services to our internal and external customers within a timely manner abiding by all legislations, financial instructions and making sound economic decisions in the best interest of the Government.
- Human Resources
Building and Construction
To g uarantee guidance and supervision in applying building codes, engineering and construction principles for the effective supervision, maintenance, design and implementation of infrastructures, equipment and Government Buildings.
- Building Maintenance
- Building Authority
- Construction Management
- Quantity Surveying
Roads, Bridges & Traffic
To ensure efficient planning, design, construction and maintenance of the territory's road network including traffic guidance and safety through calming devices, signage and markings.
- Roads and Bridges
- Construction Engineering
Workshop and Stores
To efficiently service, maintain and repair Government Vehicles.
Services we Provide
- Establish and maintain the Territory’s road network
- Architectural and landscaping, Design and Planning
- Construction and maintenance of Government owned building structures
- Planning, design, construction and maintenance of public infrastructure (roads, bridges, drainage, jetties, etc.)
- Issue Permits for building, demolition and the use of Explosives
- Issue Certificate of Occupancy (Building structures)
- Preliminary and final engineering services
- Service and repair of Government vehicles
- Project Management Services for Government projects
- Provide guidance in applying building codes and engineering principles during construction
- Issue Certificates for permission to open Public roads
- Traffic guidance and safety through road markings, signage and intersection control
- Assist with implementing traffic diversions plans for planned/unplanned incidents or events and ensure area is safe for motoring public
- Monitor activities that are impacting traffic flow, including road works and construction
- Disaster Recovery following Natural Disasters
What's Happening Within Our Department?
|Answers To Questions Asked By The Member For The Third District To The Minister For Communications And Works||
15 Jan 2019 - 4:57pm
|Answers To Questions Asked By The Member For The First District To The Minister For Communications And Works||
15 Jan 2019 - 4:25pm
|Answers To Questions Asked By The Member For The Second District To The Minister For Communications And Works||
15 Jan 2019 - 4:20pm
|Road In Front Of Long Look Sticket Closes Christmas Day||
12 Dec 2018 - 3:56pm
|DeCastro Street Closed For Annual Christmas Event||
30 Nov 2018 - 10:58am
|Road Closure Expected At Brewer’s Bay||
23 Nov 2018 - 4:51pm
|Public Works Gas Station To Close At 12 Noon||
22 Nov 2018 - 11:51am
|Portion Of Windy Hill Road Closed Until Further Notice||
21 Nov 2018 - 10:54am
|Windy Hill Road Closure||
15 Nov 2018 - 4:48pm
|Trellis Bay Jetty And Barge Parking Area Temporary Closure||
13 Nov 2018 - 4:53pm
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Public Works Department, see below for contact information:
Public Works Department
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Roads : 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Telephone:1(284) 468 5902 | 1(284) 494-2722
Fax:1(284) 468 5726
Sister Islands Contact Information
The Settlement, Anegada
Telephone:1(284) 468 5902 | 1(284) 494-2722
The Valley, Virgin Gorda
Telephone: 1(284) 468-6515
Jost Van Dyke
East End, Jost Van Dyke
Telephone: 1(284) 468 9688