As the Government of the Virgin Islands continues to play a very important role in the international fight against tax evasion, on the 30th day of June, 2014, the Government of the Virgin Islands signed an Agreement with the Government of the United States to improve tax compliance. This Agreement is commonly referred to as the US FATCA Agreement. The objective of this Agreement is to facilitate the reporting by BVI Financial Institutions about financial accounts held by US taxpayers or foreign entities in which those taxpayers hold a substantial ownership interest.
The Government of the British Virgin Islands has created a web-based portal, THE BVI FINANCIAL ACCOUNT REPORTING SYSTEM (BVIFARS), to provide a secure environment for BVI Financial Institutions to satisfy their obligations under the Agreement between the Government of the British Virgin Islands and the Government of the United States of America to Improve Tax Compliance via the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).
Click on the relevant item below to access the following:
- BVI and US Inter Governmental Agreement (US FATCA)
- SI NO. 75 OF 2014 – Mutual Legal Assistance (Tax Matters) (NO. 4) ORDER, 2014 – Implementation of US Agreement
- SI NO. 44 OF 2015 – US FATCA Order Under Section 3A OF MLA 2003
- Competent Authority Arrangement between the Competent Authorities of the USA and the BVI
- Guidance Notes
- Entity Self Certification Form
- Individual Self Certification Form
- Learn more