• A Certificate of Survey confirming the change, with the fee for a new Certificate of Registry (Blue Book)


  • Application to change the name, giving 3 names in order of priority      
  • Letter from the Mortgagee confirming ‘no objection’ to change of name.
  • Fee to change the name and issue new Certificate of Registry.

If the owner intends to change the operation (use) of vessel, e.g. from "pleasure" to "commercial", a Certificate of Compliance issued under the rules of the respective Code of Practice, or other regulation must be submitted, with the fee for the new Certificate of Registry

  • An original Certificate of Survey issued by one of the approved classification societies or organizations
  • Payment of the fee for new Certificate of Registry (Blue Book)


  •  Application to register
  • Declaration of Eligibility / Ownership
  • Original Documents of Title/Ownership - Builder's Certificate/ Bills of Sale.
  • Certificate of Survey and Tonnage Measurement issued by one of our Classification Societies. If the vessel is 24 metres or over in Load Line Length an International Tonnage Certificate (ITC69) is required
  • Certificate of Incorporation (if a company is applying)
  • Initial Registration fee: (Available on request, from Registry)
  • If the ship is coming off a foreign register the deletion certificate which must also indicate the last owner of record.
  • If ship coming off a Red Ensign Register the Closed Transcript and copy of original Certificate of Survey/Tonnage Certificate
  • Any documents that are used to support an application and are in a foreign Language must be accompanied by a notarized translation into English language and it must be certified as correct by a notary public
  •  All applications must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. We can supply all the necessary forms at the Registry. When you apply to register your vessel, please provide a list of proposed names in order of preference. A list of fees and charges for registration are also available at the Registry.
  • In the case of vessels whose beneficial owners do not reside in the BVI, a local Representative Person (RP) must be appointed. This appointee may be either a Body Corporate or an individual. 
  • Interior building works/ renovations.
  • Infrastructure and utilities works by the Government.
  • Agriculture and foretry activities.
  • Gates, fences, walls or any other means of enclosure not exceeding four feet along the sea or a road and six feet in all other cases.
  • Minor enlargements to existing dwelling houses (not exceeding one tenth of square footage of ground floor)

Pioneer Status refers to the status conferred on an individual or business when they have been declared a pioneer investor to engage in a pioneer enterprise or service by Cabinet under the Pioneer Services and Enterprises Ordinance (Cap 297).   

The Pioneer Services and Enterprises Ordinance (Cap 297) was instituted to encourage investment in various sectors of enterprises and services to enhance the development of the Virgin Islands by providing tax and customs duty relief. 

Pioneer status may be granted to  pioneer investors to carry out a pioneer enterprise or service listed in the First Schedule to the Pioneer Services and Enterprises Ordinance allowing them to import into the Territory qualified materials free of customs duty for a period of up to ten years commencing on the date on which they have been  declared to be a pioneer investor. 

Pioneer investors can seek relief from Customs duties on articles being imported for the construction, alteration, reconstruction, extension or equipping of the pioneer works in relation to their pioneer service or enterprise.  Duty will be applied to articles being imported if the Financial Secretary is of opinion that such articles are intended for the purpose of effecting repairs or replacing items in relation to the pioneer service or enterprise.


  • Appointment of Authorized Officer
  • Appointment of Representative Person
  • Declaration of Eligibility
  • Original Bill(s) of Sale
  • Certificate of Incorporation (if company)
  • Certificate of Good Standing (if the company more than one year old)
  • Statutory fee (see list obtainable from Registry)