Information Officer II
Department of Information & Public Relations
Parents of the Enid Scatliffe Pre-Primary School (ESPPS) will be engaged in an interactive workshop on how to help their children learn at home and school later this week.
The workshop is scheduled for October 31 at 5:00 p.m. and aims to help parents understand the impact of learning at the pre-primary level and the transition from preschool to formal learning.
Principal Mrs. Valerie Charles-Welsh said, “We believe that parents are a vital key to students’ success. We wish to engage and encourage parents while empowering them and partnering with them to educate their children.”
The workshop is designed for parents to be engaged in their children’s education by role playing in their activities at school. Parents are asked to come prepared to run, jump, sing, chant and clap. They will be engaged in counting, alphabet recital, making letter sounds, reading; as well as letter formation.
Mrs. Charles-Welsh said in an effort to make the workshop realistic, parents will be encouraged to use their opposite hand than the one normally used for writing. This she said will allow them to experience the child’s lack of accuracy, frustration and their need for guidance. They will also be coached with the proper formation of letters and numbers.
Principal Welsh added, “Teachers have been tight-lipped about their INNOVATIVE plans for that day. As the principal, I am motivated to see how they are busily getting an extra special look in their classrooms and preparing activities for their very important guests (the parents).”
Prizes and awards will be given to parents who participate in the workshop. Award categories include:
- Class with the most parents attending
- Class with the most dads attending
- Both parents attending (treat for specific children)
- Best Sight Word Accessory
- Best Math Hat
- Best Math/Sight word Games
Other important information:
- Registration begins at 4:30 p.m.
- Each parent will be tagged with their child’s name.
- Special request notes to employers are available for an early release day from work.
- Parents should bring their child’s school bag and tools.
- Parents should be mindful to follow the directives given by their child’s teachers throughout the preparation week as well as during the workshop.
- Judges - Education officers, other school administrators.
- Childcare available.
The workshop will be held under the theme, “A Day at School in the Life of an Early Childhood Student” and is an initiative to incorporate the Ministry of Education, Culture, Youth Affairs, Fisheries and Agriculture’s 2019 theme: Engage Encourage Empower Educate.