Public Relations Officer
Office of the House of Assembly
Telephone: 468-6900 ext. 6958
The House of Assembly (HoA) of the Virgin Islands was invited by the Speaker of the House of Representatives of Trinidad and Tobago, Honourable (Hon.) Bridgid Mary Annisette-George, to observe its 17th National Youth Parliament.
Leading the small HoA delegation from November 10-13, 2019 was Hon. Speaker, Julian Willock, Junior Minister for Trade and Economic Development and Territorial Member, Hon. Sharie B. de Castro and Hon. Melvin M. Turnbull, Member for the Second District.
The Trinidad and Tobago Youth Parliament debate took place on Monday, 11th November, 2019 where young parliamentarians debated the topic “Should parents and guardians be made responsible for the behaviours their children engage in online?”
Members came away with new information of a model Youth Parliament and, according to Hon Willock, “We are ready now to launch the continuation of our own Youth Parliament in the Territory."
In September of this year, Premier and Minister of Finance Hon. Andrew A. Fahie announced via a statement in the HoA that he had moved the Youth Parliament from under a Ministry and placed it under the House of Assembly. An Ad Hoc committee of Elected Members, Chaired by the Speaker, was set up to carry out the mandate.
Under the new structure, each of the 13 elected Members of the House of Assembly, along with the Speaker, will be able to nominate two persons to serve on the local Youth Parliament.
Hon. Willock, along with Hons De Castro and Turnbull, thanked the House Speaker, the Senate President, and the Clerk of Trinidad and Tobago for their hospitality and the many information shared.
Note photos attached:
- Photo 1 - 17th National Youth Parliament – Trinidad and Tobago
- Photo 2 - Left to right - Speaker of the House of Representatives of Trinidad and Tobago, Hon Brigid Mary Annisette George; middle - Hon Sharie B. de Castro, Junior Minister for Trade and Economic Development (BVI) and Senate President of Trinidad and Tobago, Hon Christine Kangaloo
- Photo 3 - Left to right - Trinidad and Tobago Youth Parliament’s Prime Minister, Mr. Shane John; middle - Speaker of the HoA Virgin Islands, Hon Julian Willock and Trinidad and Tobago Youth Parliament’s Speaker Mr. Khaleed Toussaint
- Photo 4 - Left to right - Hon Julian Willock, Hon Brigid Mary Annisette George, Hon Christine Kangaloo, Hon Sharie B. de Castro, Hon Melvin M. Turnbull Member for the Second District BVI and in the rear is Vice President of the Senate of Trinidad and Tobago, Hon Nigel De Freitas
- Photo 5 - Honourable Members watch on as the Youth Parliamentarians debate.