Chief Information Officer
Department of Information and Public Relations
General Line: 1-284-468-2730
Direct Line: 1-284-468-2738
Her Majesty’s Customs Department has resumed its cargo discharge at Port Purcell.
The Commissioner of Customs, Mr. Wade Smith lifted a temporary halt that was placed on cargo discharge earlier today. This action was taken as a measure to ensure safety standards were achieved at the port.
Mr. Smith said that numerous attempts were made with carriers to reestablish a safe environment at the port for staff and customers. However, due to the noncompliance, the Commissioner of Customs saw fit to follow through on previously advised action of intervention.
However, since then the HM Customs has resumed the clearing and discharge of cargo to customers.
“Ample notification was given to all stakeholders involved before the decision to cease discharge of cargo was taken. But, I am satisfied with the efforts made today to clear up a great portion of the area; hence we were able to resume discharge,” Mr. Smith said.
Premier and Minister of Finance, Dr. the Honourable D. Orlando Smith, OBE, during his One-on-One briefing with the media to update on Recovery efforts on Thursday, January 18 said, “The Port Purcell Cargo Dock is an important element in our recovery efforts. It is our main facility for the importation of goods to the Territory.“
He said that his Government hears clearly the public’s concerns and cries about the present situation at the port and will continue to work diligently to address it.
Further clean up and discharge will continue to ensure that the port remains a safe place for all persons utilising the area.