Marketing and Communications Manager
BVI Health Services Authority
A number of changes have been made to the operation of the Dr. D. Orlando Smith Hospital and community health services as a result of the activation of the BVI Health Services Authority’s Hospital Incident Command System in response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Chief Operations Officer, Mrs. Cedorene Malone-Smith said, “Elective Surgeries and normal operations at outpatient clinics at the Dr. D. Orlando Smith Hospital and community health clinics have been scaled back to appointments only, while other services have been suspended.”
The community is advised of the following changes:
- Obstetrics and Antenatal Clinics will continue as usual (for queries please contact our Obstetrics call-line at 284-852-7536).
- All Specialty Clinics have been reduced to appointments only (patients will be contacted for scheduling).
- All Outpatient Physiotherapy services have been suspended until further notice.
- All Elective Surgeries have been suspended until further notice.
- All non-emergency Laboratory services are suspended until further notice (except for COVID-19 testing).
- All non-emergency Imaging services are suspended until further notice.
- Private physicians requesting any urgent ancillary service should contact Dr. DeSantos at (284) 440-003 or email: email@example.com for discussion.
- Dental Services will be suspended until further notice (for dental emergencies please call 852-7662)
- Outpatient Pharmacy Services will now employ a prescription drop-off and pick-up system. Prescription drop-offs should be done between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on weekdays (the drop-off box is available at the entrance to the main lobby of the Dr. D. Orlando Smith Hospital) and pick-up will be managed based on appointments.
- The White Cedar Café will be closed to the public.
Mrs. Malone-Smith stated, “As we continue our prevention measures, we urge you to stay at home if you are not feeling well, practice social distancing, resist touching your face, frequently perform hand hygiene and practice cough and respiratory etiquette.”
The community is also advised to continue to arm themselves with information and best practices and monitor BVIHSA’s social media for the latest information regarding the authority’s response to COVID-19.
The BVI Health Services Authority is committed to delivering excellent, compassionate, client-centered healthcare across the Territory.