The successful applicant will be responsible for the efficient and effective management, supervision and operation of the Prison. To serve as the Government’s Chief Advisor on all matters pertaining to Prison Management and rehabilitation.
1. Conducts regular inspections of the entire Prison establishment to ensure adherence to proper standards of health and safety procedures.
2. Assists in arbitration hearings for inmates regarding disciplinary matters to ensure that correct Prison policies and procedures are followed.
3. Monitors, manages and assists the Prison Officers with the supervision and custody of prison inmates to ensure that duties are executed in accordance with established procedures.
4. Undertakes continuous assessment of the training needs of the Prison Department to develop, implement and coordinate continuous training for Prison Officers.
5. Prepares disciplinary reports on staff and adjudicate any disciplinary action to ensure correct Prison policies and procedures are followed.
6. Ensures that all Officers treat inmates in accordance with established prison policies, procedures and laws.
7. Prepares weekly reports on the prison operations.
8. Attends meetings, workshops and training sessions to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to the role.
9. Serves as the Accounting Officer for the Department.
10. Prepares and manages the Department’s Annual Budget.
11. Ensures the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
12. Develops and implements strategic plans.
13. Identifies job specific and environmental factors, develop/enforce health and safety policies and mitigates and minimises hazards to promote health and safety of officers.
14. Performs any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s Degree in Law Enforcement, Business Management, Criminal Justice or related field
- Five (5) to seven (7) years’ working experience in the field
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of Government budget and accounting procedures
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant software applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, negotiating, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent research and report-writing skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent knowledge of programme development and rehabilitative services
- Excellent knowledge of substance treatment