The successful applicant will manage the day to day operations of the Department and assist in the development and evaluation of Youth Programmes to ensure that the Youth needs of the Territory are met.
1. Manage the operations of the Department’s Youth Affairs Unit to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the unit in support of the Department’s Medium Term Strategy.
2. Assist with the development, review, implementation and evaluation of youth projects, programmes, policies and legislation to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Department.
3. Provide leadership in area of focus and guide the work of the Department’s Programme Officers for the implementation of programmes and projects in line with the Strategic Plan and Implementation Agenda.
4. Conduct research to assist in preparing briefs, concept papers and other documents to support the Department’s research function.
5. Identify and collaborate with all stakeholders in the public and private sectors, civil societies and faith-based agencies for the collection and management of data to guide the development, review and implementation of policies, and to assist in adequate budget allocation for youth and sport programmes.
6. Establish and maintain relationships with youth and their networks locally, regionally, and globally to support open communication.
7. Develop and maintain the relevant databases, systems, and website; and the upkeep of the data sets and information feeds.
8. Support the training and sensitization of youth and community partners to support the successful implementation of the Department’s programmes and projects.
9. Lead the coordination of youth and community outreach to ensure youth development targets are consistently achieved throughout the Territory.
10. Develop programmes to manage the Youth Centres; and monitor and evaluate each centres’ effectiveness.
11. Serve as point of contact to provide advice to management, team members and external clients and stakeholders on various policies, programmes, and projects of the Department.
12. Assists with the preparation of the Department’s annual budget so that accurate and realistic goals and constraints are set for the business unit.
13. Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions as instructed to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to the Department.
14. Supervise and direct the work activities of assigned personnel.
15. Coordinate and conduct training of assigned personnel to ensure understanding of policies, processes, procedures and systems.
16. Monitor and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel in accordance with the formal Performance Management Programme; and mentors to support performance improvement where necessary.
17. Perform any other duties as required by the Director of Youth Affairs and Sports or Permanent Secretary to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
Bachelor’s Degree in Youth Development, Social Sciences, Public Administration or related field
Recongised professional certification in related discipline
Professional Membership(s) with recognised local, regional, or international youth association or body (optional
Five (5) years’ experience in a related area
Valid BVI driver’s license
Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Excellent knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, ordinances, legislation, policies and procedures
Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
Excellent leadership and management skills
Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
Ability to work well under pressure