The successful applicant will effectively and efficiently manage the day-to-day operations of the Financial Reporting Unit, by ensuring the coalition of financial information, and the preparation and distribution of internal financial statements within the parameters of established legislation, polices and guidelines, and in accordance with Public Service Values.
- Direct the operations of the Treasury Department’s Financial Reporting Unit to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the unit in support of the Department’s Medium Term Strategy.
- Develop, communicate and maintain the policies, standards, processes and procedures for the collation of financial data and financial controls to ensure the efficient and effective preparation and distribution of financial reports.
- Monitor compliance programmes and systems to ensure their effectiveness.
- Manage the monthly closing processes including reconciliations and analysis of related accounts.
- Evaluate and analyse financial data in order to make financial projections, and to provide guidance and advice to management.
- Supervise international accounting and issues identification and resolution.
- Perform continuous assessment of the close process and process re-engineering to reduce the timing to close the financial period.
- Support the month end and year end cycle closure to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the Department.
- Maintain financial reports and related documentation to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the Department.
- Prepare financial reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis in accordance with the established legislation, policies and to support financial planning activities.
- Stay current on the latest financial accounting, compliance and reporting international standards, trends and best practices.
- Serve as point of contact, and provide advice to management and employees on financial reporting requirements and standards.
- Assists with the preparation of the Department’s annual budget so that accurate and realistic goals and constraints are set for the business unit.
- Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions as instructed to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to the role.
- Supervise and direct the work activities of assigned personnel.
- Coordinate and conduct training of assigned personnel to ensure understanding of established accounting regulations, policies, processes, procedures and systems.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel in accordance with the formal Performance Management Programme; and mentors to support performance improvement where necessary.
- Perform any other duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officers in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the unit.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field, from an accredited institution
- Five (5) years’ working experience inclusive of supervisory experience
- Professional certification - CPA, ACCA or equivalent certification preferred
- Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
- Expert knowledge of financial reporting procedures and standards
- Excellent knowledge of accountancy principles and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of JD Edwards Accounting Software
- Excellent analytical and decision making skills
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Sound knowledge of computer programmes used for analysis and databases
- Sound knowledge of business management and accounting
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Sound organisational and interpersonal skills
- Sound decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Sound supervisory and management skills