The role of Parliamentary Counsel prepares and drafts legislation for Government, advises Government departments on legislative matters, assists with oversight and supervision of the Legislative Drafting Division of the Chambers.
1. Receives drafting instructions and conducts extensive research into the subject matters for the purposes of preparing draft legislation.
2. Liaises with Ministries and Departments of Government in the formulation of legislation.
3. Vets imperial legislation and submits comments and suggested amendments in respect to the applicability of such legislation to the Territory.
4. Capable of executing statute revision assignments, including consolidation of legislation (incorporates all amendments).
5. Renders specific legal opinions on matters requiring statutory interpretation by various Ministries and Departments of Government.
6. Assists the Clerk of the House of Assembly during passage of legislation on matters pertaining to legislation and motions.
7. Supports the Chief Parliamentary Counsel to develop and institute systems, policies and reform measures regarding the operations of the Division.
8. Oversees the administration of the Division from time to time as may be assigned by the Chief Parliamentary Counsel.
9. Assists with all division activities such as maintaining a database of all draft and enacted legislation and provides progress reports in relation thereto.10. Attends official meetings from time to time to guide and render advice on legal issues relevant to such meetings. May involve travel overseas.
11. Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
Bachelor of Laws Degree or equivalent
Post graduate degree or diploma in Legislative Drafting
Admitted to the BVI Bar or imminent Call or other common law Bar qualifications
At least seven (7) years’ experience in legislative drafting in an appropriate jurisdiction
Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Expert knowledge of legislative drafting practices and procedures
Excellent research and analytical skills including understanding and applying the law
Excellent knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
Excellent knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, procedures and policies
Ability to master and interpret legislation
Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
Good interpersonal skills and be a team player
Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
Expert oral and written communication skills