The successful applicant will be responsible for all of the services rendered and to manage the Department to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the Department of Waste Management.
1. Ensures the smooth and efficient operation of the department and the management of assigned staff.
2. Assists with the administration of human resources functions.
3. Attends meetings, workshops and training sessions as instructed to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to your role.
4. Coordinates meetings and events, attends, records and reports minutes as required.
5. Manages and trains all staff assigned to the Department of Waste Management to ensure their understanding of the functionality of Government and relevant legislation.
6. Monitors and controls inventory to avoid damage, waste, theft or loss of time.
7. Researches, analyses, prepares reports and provides advice to the Ministry on all matters pertaining to waste management in the British Virgin Islands.
8. Serves as the Accounting Officer.
9. Prepares and manages the Department’s Annual Budget.
10. Ensures the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
11. Develops and implements strategic plans for the development of the Department of Waste Management.
12. Keeps abreast of developments in the field of Waste Management.
13. Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
14. Performs any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering or related field
Seven (7) years in senior management within the Public Service
Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Expert knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures
Sound knowledge of Government budget and accounting procedures
Excellent knowledge of waste management and environmental services
Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant software applications
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent analytical, negotiating, interpersonal and organisational skills
Excellent research and report-writing skills
Excellent leadership and management skills
Ability to work well under pressure