The successful applicant will control and evaluate the effective management of the financial resources of the Ministry of Communications and Works and its Departments. Undertake activities related to the development of the operating and capital programmes of the Ministry.
1. Advises management in the Ministry and Departments on financial matters to ensure decisions are based upon up-to-date, expert information.
2. Scrutinizes petty contracts submitted to the Ministry for approval to ensure accuracy and veracity of contracts.
3. Conducts financial analysis and produces quarterly reports on the Ministry and Departments to establish spending patterns.
4. Monitors the expenditure of both the capital and recurrent vote accounts to ensure correct payments are being processed and to review any suspect entries.
5. Supervises staff of the Accounts Unit, schedules and assigns work, responds to complaints, evaluates performance and manages leave to ensure effective and smooth running of the Unit.
6. Monitors and reports on the physical and financial progress of all projects under implementation to ensure goal congruence.
7. Manages the activities of projects through the investment phases, including tendering, negotiation and contracting, to ensure a consistent approach is adopted throughout.
8. Attends cross-Ministry meetings of a financial nature so that the Ministry and its interests are represented.
9. Performs fiscal analysis and makes recommendations relating to the status of account balances to the Accounting Officers of the Ministry.
10. Manages fiscal transactions and related financial activities pertaining to the preparation and maintenance of the capital and operating budgets.
11. Prepares first draft of revenue, recurrent and capital budget estimates for the Ministry.
12. Liaises with the Departments under the Ministry in developing their budgets and prepares the budget of and its units.
13. Reconciles vote books of the Departments in the Ministry.
14. Performs any other related duties as required by the Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
1. Manage time effectively
2. Manage your own resources and professional development
3. Provide leadership in area of responsibility
4. Develop the trust and support of colleagues, stakeholders and line managers
5. Implement change
WORKING CONDITIONS/ ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
Normal office environment
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or equivalent
- CPA or ACCA certification is preferred
- Five (5) years’ experience in a related area
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of accountancy principles and procedures
- Expert knowledge of JD Edwards Accounting Software
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent analytical skills and decision-making skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent knowledge of computer programmes used for analysis and databases
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Sound supervisory and management skills