The successful applicant will provide expert strategic advice and ensure the Governor’s position on matters related to service-wide policy and legislation, and the strategic direction for an improved public service is actioned. The post holder will provide strategic senior level support to the Governor while delivering general oversight for the efficient operations of the Governor’s Office, Residence and Museum.
- Ensures the smooth and efficient operation of the Governor’s Office and the supervision of the administrative staff at the Governor’s Office and indirectly staff at the Government House and the Old Government House Museum.
- Briefs the Governor on policy issues and legislative matters and changes; provides expert advice and guidance to the Governor on various matters.
- Provides independent analysis and advice, on complex issues and produce high quality reports and recommendations; establishes the scope and determines the need for direction from the Governor.
- Undertakes major policy and legislative reviews and analysis; anticipates and identifies emerging issues, trends and problems; provides policy advice, including options and recommendations for resolution of issues and problems.
- Liaises with ministries, department and other agencies on the Governor’s behalf on various matters including matters of policy, workforce management, deportation and other related areas.
- Coordinates responses to matters addressed to the Governor’s Office and implements necessary actions including directing items to ministries and departments for action.
- Serves as secretary and/or liaison to the committees chaired by the Governor, and to provide strategic and administrative support.
- Prepares messages, tributes, speeches, briefing and speaking notes, background documents, and discussion papers; prepares Cabinet and National Security Papers.
- Serves as the Accounting Officer for the Governor’s Office; manages the budget for Governor’s Office by coordinating the preparation of the annual budget estimates of recurrent expenditure, ensuring the proper handling of public funds in accordance with financial instructions.
- Oversees the processing of matters/recommendations from and/or relative to the three Service Commissions (Public Service Commission, Judicial and Legal Services Commission, Police Service Commission) to ensure on-going actions are noted and implemented.
- Directs the investigation and reporting on complaints from the Public as directed by the Governor, to ensure all complaints are handled.
- Develops and leads in the implementation of the strategic plan and objectives of the Governor’s Office and forges partnerships across the Service and with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to achieve objectives and solutions.
- Assists in the management of the Governor's public profile through proactive planning and coordination of events, appearances and communications.
- Creates and promotes a performance focused culture that improves productivity and cross-functionality across roles.
- Performs any other related duties as required by the Governor, Deputy Governor or designated senior public officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Office and Service.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Public Policy or equivalent
- Five (5) to seven (7) years working experience within a ministry or department at a senior level
- Post graduate certificate in Public Policy, Public Administration or related area; or relevant professional and associated academic experiences
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of the Constitution of the Virgin Islands and key Statutes
- Expert knowledge of policy analysis and review
- Expert knowledge of the policy and legislative processes
- Sound knowledge of Government accounting procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent research and reporting skills
- Excellent supervisory and managerial skills
- Working knowledge of the use of standard computer equipment and computer applications