The successful applicant will provide leadership and guidance in all aspects of the day to day activities of the Department. Manages the budget and expenditure. Plans, develops and implements Government projects.
- Lead the smooth and efficient operation of the Department through management of daily operations, supervision of staff, and assisting in developing the Department’s plans, goals, budget, objectives and systems efficiently.
- Advise on the recruitment of appropriate staff, operational functions and organisational structure in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain sound relationships with the industry and engage collaborations when appropriate, on marketing and promotional strategies for the BVI as a financial services jurisdiction.
- Participate in/speak at local and international conferences, seminars and events; and serve as a representative for the jurisdiction as a premier financial service centre and host financial services seminars and conferences locally and internationally effectively.
- Develop media and speaker training for relevant BVI industry and government spokesmen in promotion of the BVI, develop advertising campaigns and create relevant advertisements for promoting the financial services jurisdiction and issue press releases and articles, and respond to queries on observations made by commentaries elsewhere and in the BVI efficiently.
- Arrange FAM tours to the Territory for key industry writers/journalists in promotion of the jurisdiction and its financial services offerings. Organise promotional tours in key markets – USA, Hong Kong, Europe, Latin American and other emerging markets to promote the industry’s key messages to potential clients and international investors.
- Develop and recommend, in consultation with such parties as the Ministry may direct, policies and strategies to optimise the economic development opportunities available to the BVI in the context of financial services.
- Produce policy papers, speaking notes, research, drafting instructions, etc. for Government’s response to international initiatives and strategies.
- Gather, analyse and distribute information to, and at the direction of, the Premier relating to current and any future external initiatives which have potential to influence positively or negatively the economic and financial stability, prosperity and development of the BVI.
- Participate in regional and international meetings of the financial services industry organisations and related organisations and related organisations in representation of the Government.
- Serve as the Accounting Officer for the Department.
- Prepare and manage the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Ensure the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
- Develop and lead the implementation of strategic plans.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree in International Affairs, Public Administration, Political Science, Economics or a related field
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years working experience in a related area
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, procedures and policies
- Expert knowledge of international affairs and global political and economic issues
- Expert analytical skills in diplomacy, protocol and negotiation
- Expert knowledge of financial systems, practices and procedures
- Excellent understanding of the BVI Economy, particularly the Financial Services and Tourism industries
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Expert analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent leadership and management skills