The successful applicant will assist with the oversight of the daily operations of the Prison and ensure proper supervision and custody of prison inmates while assisting with policy development and implementation.
1. Assists in ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the department and the supervision of assigned staff.
2. Coordinates meetings and events; attends, records and reports minutes as required.
3. Assists with the supervision and custody of prison inmates.
4. Assists with the preparation of the department’s annual budget.
5. Conducts regular inspections of the entire Prison establishment to ensure that proper standards of health and safety procedures are adhered to.
6. Monitors the calculation of inmates’ sentence period.
7. Arbitrates all hearings for inmates regarding disciplinary matters.
8. Assists in long-term strategic planning, which involves liaising with the Judicial Departments and other government departments to aid in the planning and development of the Prison Service.
9. Devises and implements policies regarding security and regime development, and ensure uniformity in regime delivery.
10. Keeps abreast of developments in the field of quality improvement and quality assurance.
11. Maintains records relevant to the Prison and also keeps filing up to date so that complete records are available for reference.
12. Assists with the preparation of the Department’s Annual Budget.
13. Assists with the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
14. Deputises in the absence of the Superintendent of Prison.
15. Performs any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law Enforcement, Business Management, Criminal Justice or related field
- Five (5) years’ in senior management position in the field
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of Government budget and accounting procedures
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant software applications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, negotiating, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent research and report-writing skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent knowledge of programme development and rehabilitative services
- Excellent knowledge of substance treatment