The successful applicant will assist the Director in planning, organizing and directing the activities of assigned divisions. Assists other ministries and Departments on relevant matters. Ensures technical outputs of the sections are executed according to established procedures and guidelines.
1. Assist the Director with planning, developing and implementing Government projects in order to contribute to the effective management of the department.
2. Assist with coordinating technical and feasibility studies undertaken by the Department.
3. Assist with the management of the day-to-day activities of the Department to ensure that work is carried out in a timely manner, as well as monitoring the efficient use of resources.
4. Prepare reports on projects supervised by the Department to provide substantive data measuring performance on an ongoing basis.
5. Represent the Director at various meetings to ensure representation of the department and its interests.
6. Assist with the development of training programmes for assigned division to aid the professional development of the department’s staff.
7. Draft memorandums, letters, Cabinet papers and other correspondences as required, ensuring the consistency and accuracy of external correspondence.
8. Act in the absence of the Director.
9. Assist with the preparation of the Department’s Annual Budget.
10. Assist with the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for staff.
11. Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
12. Execute projects in accordance with the industry standards.
13. Prepare designs and construction documents for roads, bridges etc. throughout the Territory.
14. Prepare briefs for consulting engineers and monitors their services.
15. Supervise construction projects as required.
16. Develop and implement engineering standards.
17. Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related area
• Seven (7) years’ experience in related area
• Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
• Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant computer applications
• Sound knowledge of accessibility guidelines and sustainable development principles
• Excellent knowledge of relevant computer software applications, including AutoCAD and Civil 3D
• Excellent knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
• Sound interpersonal and organisational skills
• Sound oral and written communication skills
• Excellent research, analytical and decision making skills
• Excellent supervisory and management skills