Submitted by SGibbs on 8 June 2021 - 4:25pm
Internal Position No.:
JLSC 5 of 2021
The role of Crown Counsel provides legal advice and assist with cases in order to maintain the integrity of the legal system in a professional manner.
1. Serve as Counsel in the Courts and assist Senior Officers during trials in order to maintain the activities of the Court.
2. Prepare cases, draft charges and arguments, letters, opinions and legal documents as well as instruct on the preparation, filing and service of these documents to ensure effective and efficient administrative management within the department.
3. Prepare outgoing letters of request for legal assistance in matters and advise on incoming letters of request for legal assistance in matters when required.
4. Provide written legal advice to Commissions, Government Ministries and Departments, and attend meetings to provide immediate oral advice on legal matters as required in order to provide timely and professional information.
5. Attend/Participate in relevant workshops and seminars and assist with presentations when requested in order to represent the Department and ensure awareness of up-to-date legislation, knowledge and information.
6. Undertake general legal assignments including the drafting and/or vetting of legal matters.
7. Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
Bachelor of Laws Degree or equivalent
Bar Professional Training Course Certificate (BPTC)
Admitted to the BVI Bar or imminent Call or other common law Bar qualifications
Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Sound knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
Sound legal research skills
Sound oral and written communication skills
Sound interpersonal skills
Ability to work under pressure
Sound organisational skills
Tuesday, 22 June 2021