The successful applicant will assist with the overall planning, organising and controlling of Value For Money audits according to defined procedures, in an effective and efficient manner in order for the department to meet its objectives.
- Develop an annual programme of audits for the Value for Money Audit Section in liaison with the Auditor General and Deputy Auditor General, to ensure adequate coverage of areas within the timeframe and audit resources available.
- Direct, co-ordinate (through liaison with department heads) and supervise the activity of the Value for Money /Financial Audit section, and the audit of Treasury statement of accounts, statutory boards and trusts, participating where necessary, to ensure audits are carried out as planned in a timely and efficient manner.
- Review audit work carried out to ensure that all objectives are examined in audit programmes and that adequate documentation is in place to support the audit opinion.
- Direct co-ordinate and where necessary participate in unplanned audit investigations which arise during the course of the year to ensure these are examined as required on a timely basis.
- Prepare and review memoranda, management letters and reports on the results of examinations along with recommendations for improvements to ensure all findings are appropriately communicated.
- Counsel and train staff as required to ensure on-going compliance with auditing standards and ensuring that audit staff are sufficiently occupied and staff discipline is maintained.
- Monitor activity on all major contracts and programmes as these may become candidates for VFM review in the future, and oversee compliance and regularity audits on petty contracts.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Professional accounting qualification
- Six (6) years’ experience in a related area
- Experience public and private sector auditing
- Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of auditing standards and accounting principles
- Excellent knowledge of budgeting
- Excellent knowledge of Public Administration
- Excellent knowledge of public policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of the use of office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent management and supervisory skills
- Sound interpersonal and organisational skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills