The successful applicant will conduct research in addition to implementing and assisting in the coordination of effective legislation, strategic policies for regional affairs as directed by the Permanent Secretary. Serves as desk officer for selected departments on the Ministry’s behalf. Facilitates BVI representation and participation in international and regional organisations.
1. Provides assistance and support to the Permanent Secretary and the Deputy Permanent Secretary in the formulation of policy and administration of the Ministry and its departments to maintain the efficient delivery of services.
2. Conducts research and assists with policy development, analysis and delivery in line with the requirements of the Ministry.
3. Prepares Cabinet Papers, speeches, and statements for the Minister, press releases, and answers to House of Assembly questions as required to assist the Minister.
4. Writes numerous correspondences to local and external persons, agencies and departments in order to respond to the needs of the public.
5. Serves as the Ministry’s subject and Desk Officer for assigned departments for the purposes of improving centralisation and efficiency.
6. Monitors the implementation of the Government Legislative Agenda and strategic management initiatives to ensure that execution of such initiatives is consistent with original objectives.
7. Represents the Ministry at meetings, workshops, seminars, conferences and other official functions locally and
8. overseas to ensure presence of the Ministry and to represent its interests.
9. Monitors incoming correspondence to remain current with a wide range of information and to assist with necessary follow-up action.
10. Provides support to government ministries on strategic management to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Civil Service.
11. Performs any other duties as required by the Permanent Secretary in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration/Management, Public Administration or related field
Five (5) to seven (7) years working experience in a management capacity
Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Sound knowledge of relevant laws, regulations and policies
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
Sound analytical and decision-making skills
Sound interpersonal and organisational skills
Ability to work well under pressure
Sound supervisory and management skills