The Government of the Virgin Islands regularly seeks qualified individuals to fill positions throughout the Public Service. In addition to competitive salaries, employees of the Government receive a generous benefits package, opportunities for training and development, and a stable, rewarding career.
To apply for a post under the Employee Mobility Programme, review the Employment Mobility Programme Service
To apply for the posts, review the Employment Application Service
View all of Human Resources Services
|Internal Position No.||Job Title||Closing Date||Department|
19 of 2020
Director of Civil Aviation
Director of Civil Aviation
Department of Civil Aviation
As the Civil Aviation Department has essentially been non-functional since 2005, the successful applicant will be tasked with staffing, organizing and coordinating an action plan to get the Department operational.
1. Ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the Department by:
a. Regulating and managing all aspects of civil aviation and facilitate it’s development by promoting safety, efficiency and cost effectiveness through the use of qualified personnel; and ensuring that activities are carried out in accordance with established statutory legislation.
b. Inspecting, approving and licensing aerodromes, heliports and water-dromes.
c. Regulating the provision of aviation facilities and operations and related safety management systems in the Virgin Islands.
d. Assisting with the coordination and evaluation of aircraft accident simulation exercises.
e. Reviewing all technical aspects of the Department and making relevant adjustments as necessary.
f. Leading and managing a team towards achieving the department’s goals and objectives.
2. Serve as chief advisor to the Government of the Virgin Islands on all aviation regulatory matters so that specialist, expert advice is available for the Government.
3. Develop and present a reform strategy for the modernization of the Department in line with successful industry models, to streamline and improve its internal processes, as well as the public/private sector interface necessary for its continued effectiveness.
4. Oversees the development of a succession plan for the Department.
5. Research, analyze and prepare reports, policy documents and Cabinet Papers relating to aviation and related areas.
6. Consult with staff on grievances, conflicts, and other personnel matters. In collaboration with the Ministry’s Human Resources team and the Permanent Secretary, makes recommendation for the selection, training and development of the employees within the Department in order to maintain a dynamic and appropriate workforce. Conduct performance and coaching sessions to support the effectiveness of team members.
7. Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to the role.
8. Serve as the Accounting Officer for the Department.
9. Prepare and manage the Department’s Annual Budget.
10. Ensure the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal and Leave Management Reports for all staff.
11. Develop and implement strategic plans, including leading the airspace reclassification process.
12. Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimize workplace hazards.
13. Perform any other related duties as required by the Governor and/or the Permanent Secretary in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department
Master’s degree in Aviation, Business or related field with 5 years relevant work experience; OR
Bachelor’s Degree in an Aviation field with at least eight (8) years related managerial work experience.
Sound knowledge of safety management systems
Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Expert knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
Expert knowledge of airworthiness, operations and telecommunication systems
Expert knowledge of ICAO annexes and documents, Civil Aviation Act (CAA), Civil Aviation Publications [CAP], and Air Navigation (Overseas Territories) Order;
Excellent knowledge of aviation auditing skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent time management and organizational skills
Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
Ability to work well under pressure
Excellent leadership and management skills
30 November 2020
|30 November 2020||Department of Civil Aviation|