P.O. Box 4572
Road Town, Tortola
Virgin Islands (British)
Welcome To The Webpage Of The Director Of Public Prosecutions BVI
On our webpage you will find information for victims and witnesses, contact details for our teams and our latest news. We hope you find the site useful.
Our aim is to help make BV-Islanders safer by bringing offenders to justice. The main role of the DPP Office is to prosecute people charged with a criminal offence. Our lawyers determine the charge in all but traffic cases. They review the evidence gathered by the police and decide whether the case should go to court.
Their work involves:
- deciding charges on cases for prosecution
- reviewing prosecutions to ensure the right defendants are prosecuted on the right charges before the right court
- preparing cases for court, presenting cases in magistrates’ courts, the high court and higher courts
To provide the people of the British Virgin Islands with an independent, professional and effective forensic prosecutorial service.
- We advise the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) and other government departments and agencies on all cases for possible prosecutions;
- We review cases submitted by the RVIPF and other government departments and agencies for prosecution; and
- We prepare and present cases in all courts: Magistrates’ Court; High Court Criminal Assizes; Court of Appeal and the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council;
- We are responsible for making request to other jurisdictions for legal assistance in criminal matters, facilitated by the Attorney General’s Chambers.
Become the premier prosecutorial law chambers in the Organization of the Eastern Caribbean States.
Justitia Omnibus: Justice for all.
Our Core Values
We are committed to promoting law and order in our community and upholding professional ethics in the conduct of our duties. As a team, we are committed to:
- Providing access to justice;
- Ensuring justice for all;
- The rule of law and equality before the law;
- Prosecuting without fear or favour;
- Honesty and professionalism;
- Integrity and respect;
- Accountability and efficiency;
- Providing exceptional customer support;
- Ensuring prompt payment to our suppliers;
- Employee training; and
- Promoting a safe and healthy workplace.
What's Happening Within Our Department?
|Statement By The Director Of Public Prosecutions On The Matter Of Commissioner Of Police V Michael Foy||
17 Jul 2020 - 11:21am
|Victims Of Crimes Reminded Of Procedure To Discontinue Matters||
15 May 2020 - 8:26pm
|Tiffany Scatliffe-Esprit Is Director Of Public Prosecutions||
15 May 2020 - 7:55pm
|Acting DPP Presents On BVI’s Criminal Justice System||
20 Feb 2020 - 4:07pm
|Tiffany Scatliffe-Esprit Is Acting Director Of Public Prosecutions||
10 Jan 2020 - 2:57pm
|Message By Deputy Governor David D. Archer, Jr On The Director Of Public Prosecutions’ Resignation||
9 Oct 2019 - 2:17pm
|Honourable Dame Janice Pereira DBE To Receive Honorary Degree||
20 Aug 2018 - 11:12am
|Office Of The Director Of Public Prosecution Continues To Serve||
20 Dec 2017 - 12:48pm
|Territory Hosts First Virgin Islands Law Officers’ Conference||
17 Mar 2017 - 3:40pm
|Office Of The Director Of Public Prosecution Closed||
4 Aug 2016 - 1:51pm
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, see below for contact information:
Office Of The Director Of Public Prosecutions
P.O. Box 4572
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Telephone: 1(284) 468-2952
Fax: 1(284) 468-2955