The Hague Convention (Convention de La Haye du 5 Octobre 1961), applies to public documents, which have been executed in the Territory of one contracting State and which have to be produced in the Territory of another contracting State. These public documents include:
- documents emanating from an authority or an official connected with the courts or tribunals of the State, including those emanating from a public prosecutor, a clerk of a court or a process server (“huissier de justice”);
- administrative documents;
- notarial acts; and
- official certificates which are placed on documents signed by persons in their capacity, such as official certificates recording the registration of a document or the fact that it was in existence on a certain date and official and notarial authentications of signatures.
However, the present Convention shall not apply:
- to documents executed by diplomatic or consular agents; and
- to administrative documents dealing directly with commercial or customs operations
The lender, in this case National Bank of the VI makes the final decision on approving or denying a loan.
Persons are deemed to belong to the Virgin Islands based on the following categories:
- Born in the Virgin Islands of a mother or father who is:
- A British Overseas Territory Citizen (BOTC) by virtue of birth, registration, naturalisation or by descent from a father or mother who was born in the Virgin Islands
- Settled in the Virgin Islands
- Born in the Virgin Islands of a mother or father who is deemed to belong to the Virgin Islands by birth or descent.
- The child adopted in the Virgin Islands by a person who is deemed to belong to the Virgin Islands by birth or descent.
- Is born outside the Virgin Islands of a father or mother who is a BOTC by virtue of birth in the Virgin Islands or descent from a father or mother who was born in the Virgin Islands or who belongs to the Virgin Islands by virtue of birth in the Virgin Islands or descent from a father or mother who was born in the Virgin Islands.
- Is a British Overseas Territories Citizen by virtue of registration in the Virgin Islands.
- Is a person to whom a certificate has been granted under section 16 of the Immigration and Passport Act 1977 of the Virgin Islands.
- Is the spouse of a person who belongs to the Virgin Islands and has been granted a certificate under section 16 of the Act.