Submitted by ACorbin on 16 March 2017 - 11:46am
Internal Position No.:
MNRL 01 of 2017
The successful applicant will assist with the provision of Veterinary Services and Programmes to ensure that the Veterinary Public Health needs of the Territory are met.
- Prepare reports, attend meetings and liaise with other departments and agencies as required in order to facilitate effective information flow.
- Assist with training sessions and give advice to farmers and Veterinary trainees in order to increase the knowledge of veterinary public health throughout the Territory.
- Administer prophylactic and therapeutic measures and respond to farmer’s ambulatory calls in order to facilitate the sustainable development of the Livestock Sector.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the animal health and food protection programme to ensure the public health of the Territory.
- Perform ante-mortem and post-mortem meat inspections of the abattoir in order to assist in the Veterinary Public Health Programme.
- Assist with the overall supervision and, field implementation of the Animals (Diseases and Importation) Act. Assist in the prevention of zoonotic and other catastrophic animal disease in to the Territory by verifying documentation, conducting laboratory tests and clinical examination of live animals entering the Territory.
- Assist with ensuring compliance with applicable laws and relevant programmes and liaise with relevant agencies and stakeholders.
- Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions as instructed to ensure awareness of any changes to policies or policies relevant to the role.
- Respond to farmers’ ambulatory calls.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Ministry/Department.
- Diploma in Animal Health and Veterinary Public Health
- Three (3) years’ experience in dealing with animal health and disease control programmes in tropical countries
- Valid BVI driver’s license
- Good knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Good knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
- Good knowledge of basic/routine surgical and medication procedures
- Good knowledge of abattoir operations and meat inspection procedures
- Good knowledge of common animal diseases/food borne and zoonotic disease/recognition of important and common disease causing organisms; diagnosis, treatment/management, control/prevention
- Good knowledge of animal related disease: significant, diagnosis and treatment/control/prevention
- Good knowledge of animal behaviour as well as physical and chemical restraint
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good supervisory and managerial skills
Thursday, 30 March 2017