The successful applicant will provide leadership and guidance in all aspects of the day to day activities of the Department. Manage the budget and expenditure. Plan, develop and implement Government projects.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the Department and supervision of assigned staff.
- Monitor international and economic developments to ensure timely and appropriate response to occurrences which may affect the viability of the Territory’s economy.
- Provide strategic advice to the Premier on the overall development of the BVI’s international personality and promotion of the BVI’s international interests and reputation.
- Liaise with Government Ministries and ministries in international matters of significance to the BVI, provide assistance and co-ordinate where appropriate to maximise the benefits of all existing international activities and relationships.
- Work in close consultation with the CEO and Managing Director of the Financial Services Commission on matters pertinent to the financial services industry.
- Participate in regional and international meetings and participate in/speak at local and international conferences, seminar and events; and serve as a representative for the BVI when appropriate.
- Monitor, gather, analyse and distribute information to government offices relating to current and any future external initiatives which may impact or affect the interests of the BVI.
- Conduct periodic perception audits of BVI’s International reputation and recommendation of policies and strategies to optimize BVI’s performance in the international arena.
- Produce policy papers, speaking notes, research, drafting instructions, etc. for Government’s response to international initiatives and strategies or issues affecting the interests of the Territory from international institutions and organisations.
- Provide technical assistance and representation on behalf of the BVI in the context of regional and international organisations of which the BVI is a member, as directed by the Permanent Secretary.
- Represent the Government in bi-lateral negotiations with EU and OECD member states in connection with the EU Savings Directive and Tax Information Exchange Agreements (“TIEA”) and others.
- Serve as the Accounting Officer for the Department.
- Prepare and manage the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Ensure the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for all staff.
- Develop and implement strategic plans.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Master’s Degree in International Affairs, Public Administration, Political Science, Economics or a related field
- Seven (7) years’ working experience in the field
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, procedures and policies
- Excellent knowledge of international affairs and global political and economic issues
- Excellent analytical skills in diplomacy, protocol and negotiation
- Excellent knowledge of financial systems, practices and procedures
- Excellent understanding of the BVI Economy, particularly the Financial Services and Tourism industries
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent leadership and management skills