The successful applicant will promote, contribute, and facilitate improved financial management by leading and the managing the delivery of effective, efficient and accountable treasury management operations and services ensuring that all related processes and procedures are handled in accordance with established laws, policies and guidelines, and in accordance with Public Service Values, in order for the department to meet its objectives. To provide on-going strategic policy advice and technical support to the Accountant General and the Ministry of Finance.
- Work in conjunction with the Accountant General in developing a Medium Term Strategy for the Department for the purpose of ensuring the implementation and efficient operation of appropriate systems, procedures and policies
- Coordinate the development and monitor the implementation of annual Work Plans for the Payment and Revenue Units for the purposes of establishing synergies and directing efforts towards alignment with the Department’s Medium Term Strategy.
- Monitor the performance of the managers for which direct supervision is provided to ensure the achievement of agreed unit and individual performance targets.
- Coordinate the development and monitor the implementation of new initiatives necessary for improving the operational efficiency of the Unit and Department
- Assist in ensuring that adequate systems, controls and policies are established and adhered to in all Government Ministries and Departments to ensure Government’s funds are appropriately managed.
- Assist the Accountant General in ensuring that all systems and procedures are in place for the closing and opening of the financial year to ensure that revenue and expenditure are captured for the relevant year
- Provide guidance in the compilation, preparation and verification of the annual Financial Statements and ensures compliance with set standards.
- Advise the Accountant General on critical issues relating to the operations of the Department for the purpose of pursuing remediation plans as required.
- Assist the Accountant General with overseeing the effective management of Government funds and the Investment Portfolio of the Government of Virgin Islands.
- Lead the operation and management of the treasury management section to ensure proper cash management, cash forecasting, bank account management/banking activities, and to ensure the accurate processing of all payments in accordance with time critical deadlines, internal policies and procedures, and supplier terms and regulations.
- Create, maintain and update the chart of accounts of the department on regular basis in line with defined procedures.
- Prepare various financial management reports, including trial balances, balance sheets and profit and loss statements in line with defined standards and procedures.
- Perform Fund Management duties including maintaining accurate information on pension with various governments and administrations (United Kingdom and Caribbean) and ensuring timely processing of payments to various governments and administrations.
- Prepare monthly progress reports for the purpose of providing updates on the duties executed, challenges experienced and initiatives undertaken during the period, for the information of and submission to the Accountant General.
- Signs cheques on all Government Operating and Project Accounts and ECCB Operating Accounts.
- Partner with various business units to identify, validate and improve cash forecasting.
- Support the development and performance of assigned team members through the on-going review of performance and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions as instructed to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to the role.
- Perform any other related duties as required by the Accountant General or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field, from an accredited institution
- Five (5) to seven (7) years managerial experience in Public Finance or related field
- Professional membership with accounting/financial organization (CPA, ACCA, CA, CIMA, CIPFA, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of and the demonstrated ability to interpret the relevant laws, regulations and policies
- Excellent knowledge of financial software packages
- Excellent knowledge of accounting, finance and debt management
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and analyse government financial accounting transactions and procedures, and provide advice and guidance
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial management and financial reporting, and demonstrated ability to review and develop financial management policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication, and mediation skills
- Sound knowledge of JD Edwards Accounting Software
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and negotiating skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent leadership and management skills