Submitted by SGibbs on 11 February 2019 - 3:29pm
Internal Position No.:
JLSC 1 of 2019
The successful applicant will provide legal advice and assist with cases in order to maintain the integrity of the legal system in a professional manner.
- Serve as Counsel in the Courts and assist Senior Officers during trials in order to maintain the activities of the Court.
- Prepare cases, draft charges and arguments, letters, opinions and legal documents as well as instruct on the preparation, filing and service of these documents to ensure effective and efficient administrative management within the department.
- Prepare outgoing letters of request for legal assistance in matters and advise on incoming letters of request for legal assistance in matters when required.
- Provide written legal advice to Commissions, Government Ministries and Departments, and attend meetings to provide immediate oral advice on legal matters as required in order to provide timely and professional information.
- Attend/Participate in relevant workshops and seminars and assist with presentations when requested in order to represent the Department and ensure awareness of up-to-date legislation, knowledge and information.
- Undertake general legal assignments including the drafting and/or vetting of legal matters.
- Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor of Laws Degree or equivalent
- Bar Professional Training Course Certificate (BPTC)
- Admitted to the BVI Bar or imminent Call or other common law Bar qualifications
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
- Sound legal research skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Sound interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Sound organisational skills
Monday, 25 February 2019