The vision of the Governor’s Office is to be a model of excellence and a premier catalyst for institutional change, development and continuous improvement in the Government of the British Virgin Islands.
The Governor is the representative of Her Majesty the Queen in the British Virgin Islands. The Constitution gives the Governor certain responsibilities which include oversight for external affairs, defence and internal security, administration of the Courts, and the terms and conditions of public officers. By tradition the Governor is also Head of the Public Service, Chairman of Cabinet and the National Security Council.
The laws of the Virgin Islands also pass to the Governor certain responsibilities in relation to elections, disaster preparedness, and the prison amongst other matters.
The Governor’s Office supports the Governor in the discharge of these responsibilities and enables him to carry out his programme of public functions.
Services and Responsibilities
The Governor’s Office will:
- Provide an effective channel of communication which ensures that the concerns of the Government of the British Virgin Islands are understood by the United Kingdom Government and vice versa;
- Conduct the business of Government of the British Virgin Islands, with all other countries and international organizations except where authority has been devolved to the Premier or relevant Ministry e.g. CARICOM and OECS;
- Provide Chairmanship for Cabinet Meetings, the National Disaster Management Council, the Prerogative of Mercy Committee, Old Government House Museum Management Board and the National Security Council;
- Liaise with the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) and other law enforcement agencies to ensure effective law enforcement in the Territory and implementation of the elements of a Criminal Justice Strategy;
- Work closely with the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Prison Superintendent to ensure a well managed and safe prison;
- Liaise with the Department of Disaster Management and other relevant bodies to improve disaster management capability in the Territory;
- Ensure close cooperation with the Deputy Governor’s Office in the areas of elections and passport affairs, application for naturalization as British Overseas Territories Citizens (BOTC) and public service administration;
- Liaise with the BVI Airport Authority, Air Safety Support International, Virgin Islands Shipping Registry and the BVI Ports Authority to maintain effective oversight of aviation and maritime safety and security;
- Respond to telephone enquires and written requests for information from members of the public in the British Virgin Islands and overseas within 10 working days of receipt;
- Handle complaints from members of the public about the service provided by the Public Service and provide a response within 10 working days of receipt;
- Administer the Overseas Territories Programme Fund, the Overseas Territories Environment Programme and the Chevening Fund;
- Respond to requests for the exercise of the Prerogative of Mercy;
- Facilitate the extension of treaties and conventions, such as international human rights instruments, to the British Virgin Islands;
- Co-ordinate visits for dignitaries, VIPs and various UK government officials with other government departments;
- Process recommendations for Queen’s Honours and the Certificate and Badge of Honour;
- Receive requests for Her Majesty The Queen’s congratulatory messages for British Virgin Islanders who are 100 years of age or older and couples who have been married for 60 years or more;
- Maintain, staff, and open Old Government House Museum to the public every Monday to Friday except on public holidays;
- Host receptions for charitable events, international conference/meetings and local events at the Governor’s Residence;
- Work with the BVI Government on economic matters and all the financial services sector on meeting international regulatory standards.
What's Happening Within Our Department?
|Government Receives New Heavy Equipment Vehicles||
24 Apr 2018 - 5:27pm
|Governor’s Office To Close At 12 Noon Today||
13 Apr 2018 - 10:17am
|Statement By His Excellency The Governor: Update On The Virgin Islands Recovery and Development Agency Act, 2018||
12 Apr 2018 - 1:03pm
|Anthea Smith Appointed to Judicial and Legal Services Commission||
10 Apr 2018 - 4:08pm
|Residents Told To Prepare For Another Active Hurricane Season||
10 Apr 2018 - 11:10am
|Deputy Governor David Archer Jr. Appointed Deputy To Governor||
5 Apr 2018 - 4:08pm
|Update into the Independent Investigation into RVIPF Police Shooting||
4 Apr 2018 - 5:50pm
|Words of Encouragement To The Public Service From Former Deputy Governor Mr. Elton Georges, CMG, OBE||
29 Mar 2018 - 5:34pm
|Deputy Governor David D. Archer Jr. Officially Visits Virgin Gorda||
27 Mar 2018 - 5:17pm
|Governor Jaspert Visits Main Street Six Months After Irma||
7 Mar 2018 - 1:32pm
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Office of the Governor, see below for contact information: