P.O. Box 142
Road Town, Tortola
Virgin Islands (British) VG 1110
The Survey Department which operates under the portfolio of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Labour continues to provide geographic data and land based information to the Government, Private Sector and Public of the British Virgin Islands.
The Department is regulated by the Land Surveyors’ Ordinance, Chapter 215 and administered under the provisions of the General Orders for the Public Service of the British Virgin Islands. Other Ordinances that impact the Department directly are the Condominium Ordinance, Chapter 219, the Registered Land Ordinance, Chapter 229 and the Title by Registration Act, Chapter 231.
The Survey Department (SD) aims to deliver accurate, high quality geographic and mapping services products and information that meets and satisfies each stakeholders’/customers’ needs as well as the development needs to the British Virgin Islands as a whole.
To perform our duties to the highest standards, ethics integrity and in accordance with requirements of the Land Surveyors’ Ordinance, Surveyors’ Regulations and Registered Land Ordinance for the efficient and effective operation of our Cadastral Surveying and Land Registration System that supports all development of the BVI.
Our Major Responsibilities Are:
- To maintain and enhance the National Geodetic Framework, that is, the survey control monuments located throughout the islands. These monuments are the control to which all surveys in the Territory are referenced;
- To check and authenticate all cadastral plans prepared as a result of surveys executed by Government and Private Practice Licensed Surveyors;
- To undertake surveys for Government as instructed by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Labour, Land Registry Department and other Government Ministries & Departments;
- To assist the Chief Registrar of Lands in the investigation and resolution of disputed boundaries;
- To maintain and update the Cadastral Index Sheets on instructions and direction of the Chief Registrar of Lands;
- To be the consultant within the Territory in respect to surveying and mapping concerns or questions;
What's Happening Within Our Department?
Department Contact Information
To make contact with Land & Survey Department, see below for contact information:
P.O. Box 142
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Cashier : 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.